Department of Regenerative Medicine and Cell biology
News from 2010:
- Biomedical Research Conference Award Jashalynn C German (Spelman College and S. Hammad Lab) won a Presentation Award at the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students, Nov. 10-13, 2010, Charlotte, NC
- A Top Cited article between 2008-2010 from the Journal of Prostaglandins and Other Lipid Mediators Hammad SM, Crellin HG, Wu BX, Melton J, Anelli V, Obeid LM. Dual and distinct roles for sphingosine kinase 1 and sphingosine 1 phosphate in the response to inflammatory stimuli in RAW macrophages. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat, 2008, 85: 107-114.
- Elizabeth Burton (Steven Kubalak Lab) successfully defended her thesis "Regulation of VCAM-1 Expression by TGFb2 during the formation of the Epicardium", August 16, 2010.
- MUSC Student Research Day Award Haley Lindner (R. Huise-Helmericks Lab) won First Place for PhD III Poster: "Requirement for Akt1 in the Regulation of Anti-Bacterial Effects of Poly-N-Acetylglucosamine Nanofibers (sNAG) in Cutaneous Wound Healing"
- MUSC Student Research Day Award Jashalynn C German (Spelman College and S. Hammad Lab) won First Place for Undergraduate Oral Presentation: "Effects of Genetic Deletion of NOS2 or NOS3 on Atherosclerosis in a Lupus Nephritis Mouse Model"
- MUSC Student Research Day Award Aaron Blackshaw (CofC and K. Lee Lab) won First Place for Undergraduate Basic Science Poster: "Direct and microRNA-mediated Regulation of Jarid2 Expression by Nkx2.5 in the Second Heart Field"
- MUSC Student Research Day Award Brent A Wilkerson (K. Argraves Lab) won Second Place for PhD VI Oral Presentation: "HDL and Albumin Specific Effects on S1P-dependent Endothelial Barrier Enhancement"
- MUSC Student Research Day Award Daniel Grass (B. Toole Lab) won Second Place for PhD VII Oral Presentation: "Regulation of Invadopodia Dynamics By Emmprin (CD147)"
- MUSC Student Research Day Award Joseph A Palatinus (R, Gourdie Lab) won Second Place for PhD VIII Oral Presentation: "A Peptide Mimetic of the Connexin43 Carboxyl-Terminus Increases Activity of Protein Kinase C Epsilon in a Substrate-Specific Manner"
- MUSC Student Research Day Award K. Bryan Wingate (M. Kern Lab) won Third Place for Clinical / Professional / Masters III Poster: "Prrx Homeodomain Proteins, Key Regulators of Extracellular Matrix Expression During Secondary Palate Formation"
- NIH/NHLBI Grant Award to Dr. Robert Gourdie
Patterning of Gap Junction in the Arhythmic Heart (2010-2015)
- NIH/NIAMS Grant Award to Dr. Robert Gourdie and Dr. Mike Yost (USC-SOM) An Enabling Technology for Improving Engraftment of Bioengineered Materials and Cells (2010-2015)
- SC EPSCoR / IDeA GEAR Award to Dr. Scott Argraves Building a Vascular Tree Using Uniluminal Vascular Spheroids Comprised of Vascular Cells Made From Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (2010-2011)
- AHA Scientist Development Grant to Dr. Naohiro Yamaguchi Calmodulin Regulation of Cardiac Ca+2 Transporting Channels (7/1/2010-6/30/2014)
- AHA Scientist Development Grant to Dr. Daping Fan (USC - SC Cardiovascular COBRE) Role of microRNA-155 in Macrophage Function and Atherosclerosis (7/1/2010-6/30/2014)
- AHA Predoctoral Fellowship to Obaidullah Aseem The Role of Cubilin in High Density Lipoprotein Homeostasis (7/1/2010-6/30/2012)
- AHA Predoctoral Fellowship to Erin Pardue The influence of Fibulin-1C on Hematopoietically Derived Cell Populations in Heart Valves (7/1/2010-6/30/2012)
- AHA Predoctoral Fellowship to Brent Wilkerson HDL associated S1P in Endothelial Barrier Function and Atherosclerosis (7/1/2010-6/30/2012)
- AHA Predoctoral Fellowship to Xiaowei Li Engineering Blood Vessel Network and Manipulating Endogenous Stem Cells for Brain Regeneration After Stroke (7/1/2010-6/30/2012)
- Center for Oral Health Research Award to Christine Kern Prx Regulation of Extracellular Matrix Genes during Craniofacial Development (9/30/2010-5/31/2011)
- Center for Oral Health Research Award to Marion Cooley Fibulin-1 is Required to Maintain the Fgf8-dependant Proximal Mandibular Genetic Program (9/30/2010-5/31/2011)
- 19th South East Lipid Research Conference Obie Aseem was awarded second place in the poster competition for his work entitled "Cubilin is Essential for Maintaining Plasma HDL levels"